We're happy to announce the release of BusKill v0.7.0
Most importantly, this release allows you to arm the BusKill GUI app such that it shuts-down your computer when the BusKill cable's connection to the computer is severed.
What is BusKill?
BusKill is a laptop kill-cord. It's a USB cable with a magnetic breakaway that you attach to your body and connect to your computer.
If the connection between you to your computer is severed, then your device will lock, shutdown, or shred its encryption keys -- thus keeping your encrypted data safe from thieves that steal your device.
You can upgrade your BusKill app to the latest version either by
This update includes many bug fixes and new features, including:
- Adds support for 'soft-shutdown' trigger to GUI
- Adds a new
- Adds a new "Settings" screen in GUI
- Merges kivy & buskill config files into one standardized location
- Fixes in-app updates on MacOS
- Fixes lockscreen trigger on Linux Mint Cinnamon
- Fixes background blue/red disarm/arm color to propagate to all screens
--run-triggerto be executed inside usb_handler child process and communicate to root_child through the parent process
You can find our changelog here:
And you can find a complete diff of all the changes from v0.6.0 to v0.7.0 here:
We've also made many improvements to our documentation
- Updated the Software User Guide to include how to arm the BusKill app with the
soft-shutdowntrigger in the GUI
- Added a manpage
- Better documentation on how to build your own USB-C BusKill Cable
- Better documentation on how to test the buskill app
- Fixes in Release Workflow
- Added some additional related projects to our documentation
This release now allows you to choose between either [a] locking your screen or [b] shutting down your computer when you arm the BusKill app from the GUI.
By default, the BusKill app will trigger the lockscreen. To choose the '
soft-shutdown' trigger, open the navigation drawer, go to the
Settings Screen, click
Trigger, and change the selected trigger from
soft-shutdown. For more information, see our Software GUI User Guide.
We do our best to test the BusKill app on Linux, Windows, and MacOS. But unfortunately it's possible that our app doesn't fully function on all versions, distributions, and flavours of these three platforms.
We could really use your help testing the BusKill app, especially if you have access to a system that's not (yet) listed in our Supported Platforms.
And in this release, we specifically would like you to help us test the soft shutdown feature. Please let us know if it does or does not work for you.
Please contact us if you'd like to help test the BusKill app 🙂
To get email updates about future releases, you can subscribe to our newsletter